I'm often ask "What do you do in the "off" season while kids are not at camp... Well, I'm not going to go into the website, Department of Health paperwork, fiances, Chamber of Commerce Meetings, menu planning, emails and phone calls... But I also do a lot of work around camp.
For example, here is a project I've been working on. I found these closet doors at Twigs- a local group that takes in old treasures and resells them. I put them together and made a changing screen for one of the cabins ! (If you have these types of doors sitting around, let me know! I need more!)
|cracked pump housing|
|Fixing leaks under the Girl's Bath House|
I found that two of the lights in the dining hall kitchen wouldn't work. After some research, I found that the ballast were bad- so another trip to Amsterdam (1 hour there, 1 hour back) to get some replacements. I also went online to check to see if I could get replacement lenses for the lights in the girl's bath house. Two came loose (I think the squirrels had something to do with it. When in doubt, blame the red squirrels) and I was looking to see if I could get new ones. Well, when I typed in the model numbers, I found that all four lights were on recall!!! Apparently the posts (at the end of the bulbs) heat up and could cause a fire. Eaton's Lighting Solutions are sending us four new ones. I guess I can't be too mad at the squirrels...
We got new numbers and painted them for the Cabins- (Thanks Judi!). Yes, we did keep the number 21 for Cabin 21... We numbered the cabins from 1 to 10 (and 21) in a counter clockwise pattern. You can see the numbers from the front of the Rec Hall (except 9, and 3 and 4)
We also had to get some help to fix the piers under the girl's bathhouse and re-support the center beam under Cabin 6. Next summer we have to completely replace the piers under Cabin 3... But that is next year.
In the kitchen we found out that the dishwasher wasn't draining, and water was spraying out underneath the machine. (It's suppose to spray INSIDE, not outside). Glenn helped get the solenoid freed up for the drain and I have to drive to Northville to get a small part to fix the leak.
|After first scrubbing with the cleaning brick|
Then it was time to attack the griddle. Here is a before and 6 hours after pictures.
And of course there is grounds work to be done. I takes about 8 hours to mow and trim the entire camp. Of course it takes even longer when the string trimmer breaks- so it was off to the store to see if it could be fixed- unfortunately the weed eater ate it's last weed- so we got a brand new one!
Well, that's just some of the adventures of getting camp ready for the summer! Never a dull moment!
And there is so much more to do! I better get back out there. See you all soon!